Thursday, June 07, 2007

My Experience with the Judicial System

Well, i had a somewhat interesting wednesday.


A few weeks ago, i went over to my parents house for dinner, and was given a jury summons that came to the house. My permanent residence is still listed as my folks house since i dont really want to change it until i actually buy a place that i will be at for long term. At any rate...i got this jury summons. Date was set for june 6th, and at first i wasnt too excited. Was going to have to let my boss know, tell him i need time off, it was around the time of sloka's wedding and my birthday where i had taken days off to do stuff, so i didnt know if id have to alter plans, etc etc etc.

Then i thought about it.


Seeing as how, if i could do my life over, i would have followed my gut instinct my senior year in college and go to school for political science/Law so i could work in government, the reality of this sunk in. This was my chance to see how things work in my local judicial system. So i thought about it, and figured, either way, it would be ok.


More time went by and i started getting excited of the prospect of doing it. I know my sister did it and said it was pretty boring, but im kind of nerdy about this...so i was looking forward to just seeing the process. Ive seen tv shows like law and order, and i guess thats my only real basis...but i was still excited.

Fast forward to yesterday.

I get to the JUDICIAL CENTER(!!!) and go through security. Sign in at the jury lounge...and wait.


And wait.


And wait more.


We find out that there are a total of 3 trials in need of juries. So i figure there is a good chance ill get called. Well, the first batch of jurors got called, and i wasnt on that list. SO i waited.


Now its noon. Lunch time. The jury pool manager said he would have more info after lunch. I ate lunch. Watched more reruns of the Adams Family on TV Land, and around 115, was told that another case was added with need for a jury, to bring it to a total of 4 cases. Now i KNEW i would get picked.

10 minutes later, the 2nd jury pool was pulled....and i wasnt on the list. Now i was starting to get bored, so i took a nap. Dozed off on the couch i was sitting on and woke up here and there, watched some more TV, then around 245, we were told that the last 2 trials decided that they didnt need us. 1 went with a bench trial, the other got spooked and postponed their trial date. So...i was told to head on out.


Boring? A bit. But at least i dont have to spend my birthday in a courtroom, when my boss gave me the day off.


I hope i get called again and can actually serve. Id like to see how it works. Otherwise, oh well. Such is life.


BTW, its birthday eve. Tomorrow is the big day.

No comments: