Friday, July 01, 2005

This is a Long post, yall...pack a lunch....

Hello all -

Its been a while since I've posted something of major substance, so I figured today was a good day to do it. Alot has happened over the past month. DMB, my birthday, meeting a great new girl - Jami, and the biggest thing....preparing to move back to chicago. Yes, you heard me right, im moving back to Chicago. I got a new job downtown Chicago, and will be moving home in the next 2 weeks. Its bittersweet, because there was alot I liked about working for Crowe, but I felt it was time to move on. This blog isnt the venue to talk about it, but I am very happy with my choices, and I wish everyone I worked with the best of luck in the future. Im very excited to move back to the Chicago area since it is home to me, however, within the past month, I've met Jami, who is an incredible girl. Its going to be very difficult to leave here knowing shell be here, but I know we are going to do everything we can to make it work.

Today is my last day at Crowe, and next week I'm taking some time off to pack and get ready. Alot of my stuff is already packed, but there is still alot to be done. I start my new job on the 11th, however i dont move until the 16th because my new apartment in Willowbrook wont be available until then. So, for the first week, im going to stay with my parents, commute into the city with my mom. Its going to be interesting, I might even get to go overseas soon...but well see how that goes.

In other news, I finally got my holy grail. Ive been wanting a Powermac G5 for the longest time, and was finally able to afford one, thanks to my Crowe bonus. I got a Powermac G5 1.8 ghz, not the fastest of the G5 line, but they are phasing them out, it still had an ADC port so i could use my exiting studio display, but still had the horsepower i was looking for since my quicksilver g4 was starting to show its age. 2 downsides. It only came stock with 256 mb ram and an 80 gb HD. I had 1gb ram in my quicksilver, and 120 gb HD as well. I picked it over the iMac, because of the expandability options and the fact that i wouldnt have to find something else to use my really beautiful studio display with(since iMacs cant span and the powermacs that have been made over the past 6-8 mos dont use the ADC connector that my flat panel does, they all use DVI) It was the last single 1.8 they had left at the Easton apple store, and i picked it up. 1499 for it, i was pretty impressed, overall I think a good deal. Here are some pictures of it.



Here it is after bringing it home. Apple does a bang up job even with packaging of their products.



The sticker on the outside of the box telling the config of the machine....kind of hard to read....



Initial tease when you open the box...its just a cardboard image of a G5....



There she is...all safe and sound....



Out of the box and static wrap...



A shot of the back connections and the 2 big ass fans....



Using the settings transfer was pretty easy, except that the geniouses at the Apple store didnt install Tiger on this machine before selling it, so i had to upgrade it before i could transfer the data over from my old G4 to the G5. Not a big deal.



What did callie think? Not too impressed. Jealousy maybe, who knows.



This was a shock at first, but it only took about 90 minutes to transfer all 60 gb of my data over from one machine to the other. Not bad for a 400mbps firewire connection.



This could be a new nerd room shot? I need to update that page since i have this new silver beauty.



Here it is with the cover off. Installing the 2 512 sticks of DDR was really easy. Thing to remember...equal pressure on both sides of the DIMM....dont wanna snap the MOBO :P



All in all, im happy. The 1gb RAM kit i got for it came from crucial overnight for 100$ flat. Not bad. Once that kit was put in, this thing is a screaming monster. Im always used to using second hand macs for everything i do, and this baby is roarin. The real test will be when i begin to encode the new BSG episodes that come out starting July 15th. Dont worry, ill keep you all posted.

Other than that, today was my final day at Crowe....and it is done. Im getting ready to take Jami out to dinner and maybe to best buy for a little shopping. Have a happy 4th everyone!



Callie posed for you all as well, reminding you to make sure you take time for the finer things in life, such as sleeping in a sunbeam...

No comments: